Monday, January 31, 2011

Great Voices (or: I Love Speech Bubbles)

So yes,  I made a new comic, and yes it's based on public radio. I am such a nerd.
I love experimenting in the comic medium. I'm not good at it by any means, but I love it. I like when comics makes you think about things differently.
I was listening to NPR at work, and they were having this ongoing series of "50 Great Voices," in which music experts talk about extraordinary singers and what makes their voices memorable. They ran the gamut from Howlin' Wolf to Freddie Mercury, but I'm glad that a few of my favorites, above, made the cut.

 
Anyway, I also happened to be rereading Asterios Polyp that week (David Mazzucchelli I love youuuu) and I realized that the appearance of every character's speech bubble in that book was unique, even people that have one line in one panel and are never heard from again. I love the idea of sounds having a look or a texture, so I love speech bubbles and I love sound effects. I spent an entire winter's day once trying to figure out how you would write the onomatopoeia for walking on brand-new ultra-fresh snow.*
So I tried it with a few of the singers in the NPR special. It was fun. If you want to try it, too, look through their archive! Even if you don't want to try it, it's hilarious listening to a bunch of white public radio people gush over the significance of Biggie Smalls.

* I decided on "grinch."

Remember when I used to eat sardines for dinner

No comments: